Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration thoughts

I enjoyed watching the President's public inauguration today.  Did you know that he was actually sworn in yesterday? The constitution (20th amendment, see here) states that the President's term in office ends at Noon on the 20th of January, so he took his official oath (so did Vice-President Biden, btw) yesterday, in private. Today was all about the celebration.

My favorite part of his speech was this line:

"We cannot mistake absolutism for principle or substitute spectacle for politics, or treat name-calling as reasoned debate."

Yeah, especially the last part of the sentence. We've really devolved in that regard.

Here is the full text of his speech: 2nd inaugural address

I also enjoyed watching his two beautiful daughters and his beautiful wife.  Maybe as a man who has the same at my house, those images resonated with me.


I had to laugh when I saw everyone except Michelle Obama whipping out their cell phones.  Again, the image below resonates with me!!


The guy off of Michelle's left shoulder looks as if he disapproves of something, or maybe has a little gas. Can't really tell.

I can't find very good pictures, but both Michelle Obama and Jill Biden had some shoes on that were not conducive to marching down Pennsylvania Avenue.




Joe Biden looked like he was ready to high five everyone on the route - I'd like to have a beer with him.

Anyhow.  Good luck to the President and the Vice-President.  I don't always agree with them, but then I don't always agree with anyone.  Regardless, he's in charge and God bless him - I wouldn't want the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment